Friday, February 1, 2013

Floral Metal Tag and a new challenge!

Hi!  I would like to share a tag w/ you today! Splitcoaststampers has created a new challenge and I am all over it like white on rice!  It's a Mixed Media challenge!  Oh, my crafty heart is singing!!!!  I have taken to mixed media with ease and bliss!  I'm not happy unless my fingers are covered in paint, gesso, glue and/or ink!  Haha!

Today was the first challenge for Mixed Media.  The challenge is Yin/Yang.  Something shiny and something matte.

 So, my shiny element is the metal tape that I dyed purple!  The matte element is the Gesso that I stamped a pretty font all over the tag, along the edges, and in the crevices of the resin medallion on top.
Here's a closeup.  You can kind of see the embossed metal tape.
This is how I created it:

I took a manilla tag and covered it in metal tape.  I embossed the entire thing in Kassie's Brocade embossing folder.  I sprinkled Purple Twilight alcohol ink all over the tag and swirled it around.  Then I added drops of Pearl Mixative and sponged it all over the tag to mute the purple a bit.  Still shiny though!  I sealed it w/ Gloss Gel Medium to give it a high gloss again and to prevent the alcohol ink from rubbing off on my fingers every time I touch it!

I sponged black Gesso along the edges of the tag, and gooped it all over the resin medallion.  After it dried a bit, I wiped off the excess on the tops and let it dry more.  I sanded the tops, and then added Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint, but I was too impatient to let it crackle!  I sanded it more and that was it!
I took my sponge that I used with the black Gesso and applied it to the back of a pretty font stamp from WPlus9 Designs: Defining Words. 

Once all the Gesso was dry, I attached a lace flower and then a railroad ticket that I sponged w/ Tea Dye and Walnut Stain and distressed the edges towards the bottom of the tag.  Then, I started piling on the flowers to make a pretty arrangement!  That's it!

Have a lovely day!

1 comment:

  1. gorgeous colors & that medallion is super cool!! love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to drop by!