Saturday, March 30, 2013

Me at 33












Hi there! Today I would like to share with you a scrapbook page that I made for Swirlydoos!  The challenge was to create a scrapbook page of yourself!   Do you know how hard that is??!!!!  We had to make it monochromatic and we had to list our age in some way.  We also had to use black gesso or modeling paste w/ a stencil.  I used black gesso w/ a stencil.  Does that count?!  I actually did 2 on 1 stenciling!  I'll explain in a bit!

The pictures of me that I chose are from when we visited my grandparents last summer.  We actually made a complete circle in our travels!  We specifically planned it that way.  My grandfather suffered a stroke last February, and when we were visiting, he was in a nursing home.  Since that time, he has been moved to his home, where my grandmother and 2 wonderful caretakers take care of his every need.  Unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to go back down to visit.  Hopefully we can do that soon!  I miss him!  And my grandmother!

Here's my layout in its entirety:
 




















 Below is the top half of my page, a closer up view, so to speak.  To first create the page, I printed and cut out my pictures.  I distressed them, and then layered them onto black c/s.  I took the piece of wood paper and distressed and sponged w/ black ink and laid out my pictures.  That's as far as I got at my scrapbooking weekend away!  I didn't have the net ribbon w/ me, nor the stamps, the gesso, the stencils, etc.....

This past week, I worked on this page, among the running I had to do all week!  I would paint, and then run to school.  Paint some more, then run to art lessons, and a different school!  Finally, this evening, I was able to sit down and FINISH the page!!!!!  Another scrapbook page DONE!  Whooo hooo!  :D

To create the background page, I started off w/ a Graphic 45 piece of paper and did a whitewash on it using white gesso and a bit of water to thin it out, so that the pattern would show through.  Then, I took my 11" x 14" plastic canvas (usually used for sewing projects!), and taped a swirly stencil on top of it.  I took a paint brush and black gesso and painted through it to create that speckled, almost cross stitch like pattern.  

Then, I die cut flowers from the Tattered Florals Die from Tim Holtz, and I used the negative to sponge some color onto the white washed background.  I used Vintage Photo ink.  Then I took Memento Black ink and sponged around the edges to make it look a bit more 3-D.














Below is the bottom half.  The Tattered Floral flower that I created is actually all white cardstock.  I laid it on
my spray board, and placed the plastic canvas over all of the flowers and sprayed Black/Gray Smooch Spray.  This creates the speckled look that matches my background.  I sponged the edges and put the flower together.  It's pinned together w/ a sparkly brad.  The other flowers are from SU!.  I sprayed them w/ Black/Gray Smooch Spray, and then spot sponged them w/ Memento Black ink.

I adhered black Petaloo flowers, floral sticks, and vintage metal findings, along w/ Black Prima Crystal sheets which are cut.  I only used the black ones...















To create the No. 33, I stamped it w/ Black StazOn onto acetate. 
































Can you see the baubles peeking around the gray flowers?  That's actually a necklace!  I bought it at
Forever 21, and the day that I decided to wear it, the darn thing broke!  Well, I am my grandfather's 
granddaughter after all!  I didn't throw it away!  I knew I could use it for SOMETHING!  I stashed it away
with my other metal findings to use at a later date!
Lesson learned:  Don't throw jewelry away!  You can use it on your scrapbook pages!!!


















Here's my ingredient list:

Paper: Graphic 45; Black, white c/s
Ink: Vintage Photo Distress Ink; Black StazOn; Memento Black; Black Smooch Spray; White Gesso;
       Black Gesso;
Stamps: Recollections Big One Double; Fiskars Punctuations
Embellishments: sewing machine; Prima Crystal Sheets (Vintage Chic Kit); floral sticks; SU! white flowers;
                        assorted rhinestone brads; metal findings (Vintage Chic Kit); black Petaloo flowers (past
                        Swirlydoos kit); acetate; black net ribbon (past Swirlydoos kit); Swirly stencil (The Crafter's
                        Workshop); plastic canvas; Black Smooch Spray; Tattered Floral die (Tim Holtz);
                         Forever 21 necklace

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. I love how you offset the pictures with the clock handles...nice asymmetry!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to drop by!